Pages

Friday, August 24, 2012

Ask a Professional

I sat down to write a long post p'wning forums and bloggers regarding bariatric surgery.  Then I read over the examples from the former and the latter again before I hit 'Publish'.  I'm glad I did that.

I was feeling very righteous and I still do.  However I'm going to keep this short and sweet.

DO NOT RELY ON THE INFORMATION YOU FIND OR RECEIVE FROM THE INTERNET

Ever.

Puppies will get kicked if you do so.

The Internet is a vast wasteland devoid of much structure or regulation.  I'm glad for that and I hope it stays that way.

In that regard, going to 'medical' sites like WebMD (aka you're going to die dot commmmmm) and taking that as Gospel is just plain dumb.  The same goes for going to a forum or reading a blog about bariatric surgery and taking that as Gospel.  I've already talked about this.  I'm not an expert.  This is one man's experience.  I hope it provides some information for folks but I do not expect it to be a trusted resource.

There are way too many people who feel that because they have been through this surgery they are qualified to throw around medical advice or diagnose someone based on a forum post or comment to a blog.

Just their surgeon wore mismatched socks the day of their surgery and they lived doesn't mean that you should expect your surgeon to do the same.  Likewise if they had to have a test done that is not being required of you doesn't mean your surgeon / bariatric team are bumbling chimps.

If you feel like you're getting jerked around in your bariatric process it is your right to go seek another bariatric program.  Sure it's OK to get a second opinion.  Just not from someone called unckledickiedo on fatsobariatricforums.com.us.uk.org.me.

Got it?  Good.

tl;dr
The Internet cannot be trusted.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be stupid. Remember that this is my life not yours. I want to hear from folks but blatantly offensive comments won't be allowed.