Pages

Thursday, October 25, 2012

Random Thoughts

A couple of observations I have based on my limited experience of this post-op bariatric life.

1.  Don't do any chew-able supplements if you can avoid it.  Or at least try the samples they give you before trying them.  Chew-ables are fine if you have to take them every so often but you have to take at least 8 different supplements a day and if even half of those are nasty tasting chalky chew-ables you're just not going to make it.  They make capsules for bariatric patients and I seem to be doing fine with those.

2.  Weigh yourself everyday and be prepared to say holy shit one day and WTF the next day.  I'm down 40 lbs in 20 days.  That averages to 2 lbs a day.  There have been days when I know I lost 5-10 lbs and there have been some recent days where I haven't lost anything or gone up slightly.

2a. Weigh yourself at the same time of day with the same clothes (or in your birthday suit like I do)

3.  Have a support system.  My family and friends have been more than awesome but I found that during our pre-op classes some folks just weren't supported and I could tell they were overwhelmed.

4.  Don't buy new clothes right away.  It's amazing and awesome how many people have offered me their old clothes.

5.  Hold onto the biggest pair of pants and shirt you own but get rid of the rest.  You need no excuse to get fatter again by hanging onto clothes that are too big to wear.

6.  Don't compare yourself to others who are going through the same procedure or are doing it the 'normal' way.  In other words eating less and exercising.  Don't think you're doing it the easy way and don't let them make you think that.

7.  Try not to get bored.  I'm 20 days into this lifelong change and I have more energy than I've ever had before.  I'm told it will only get better and I'm excited about that.  You don't have to start planning to climb Everest or run with the bulls in Pamplona but you do need a plan to replace your bored eating with something.  Since I'm under the weather with some kind of sinus shit I've been reading.  Just getting out of the house will make you feel better.

8.  Look at your bank account.  All your familiar food haunts are gone aren't they?  I haven't spent a dime on unnecessary food in 3 weeks.  I used to spend an average of $15 a day on food prior to my surgery.  That's $315 I've saved in 3 weeks.  That's a payment on our vacation club time share, car payment, etc.

9.  Recognize the small things.  For instance last night I went to my boy's band concert and have always resigned myself to sitting uncomfortably in the chairs.  When I sat down last night I just slid right in.  I didn't have to shift around the whole night.  At the same time I noticed that my 4x shorts I was wearing don't fit at all anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be stupid. Remember that this is my life not yours. I want to hear from folks but blatantly offensive comments won't be allowed.