Pages

Friday, September 7, 2012

Irony - I has it

Being inherently negative as a fatty I have always felt like I am not really good at much of anything.  I know that's not really true but I am my own best punching bag.

Besides being a damn good Windows admin there is one thing that I took to right away.

BBQ

BBQ is something I would do full time right now if I could.  Everybody loves my meat.  I rub it.  I inject it.  They can't keep it out of their mouths.  My wife talks about my meat and my sauce all the time.

Some of you quicker folks are beginning to see my quandary.  I'm getting ready to have major surgery to give me that tool that I've been missing for years, control over my hunger.  In other words I'm ending the bottomless pit.  However I love to cook.  More to the point, I love to play with my meat and smoke it for hours on end until its juicy, tender and melts in your mouth.  I was born to BBQ.

Several years ago my family got me a smoker for Father's Day and the rest is history.  I now have 3 smokers (unfortunately the original died in a fiery death) 2 grills and a passion for smoked meat.  When I got the axe a couple of years ago from Douche-Take Software I was this close to going into culinary school.  Luckily my current employer called and kept me from years of debt and minimum wage jobs.

But the fire still burns inside of me.  So we come to my quandary.  I'm sitting at the desk in my room at the Ramada Inn in Perry, GA anxiously awaiting this.  I'm going to meet one of my BBQ heroes tonight with a dozen other people for a weekend of competition Q education.

The class was a gift from my gorgeous wife earlier this year.  I know what you're thinking.  

Best.Wife.Ever

You'd be right if you were thinking that.  But not because she got me enrolled in this class.  It's because she's been supportive of me from day one in this journey.  She's told me to sack up when I needed it and let me cry on her shoulder when I needed that.  I truly am a lucky man.

This blog isn't about BBQ though.  So you see the irony.  I'm getting ready to spend 2 days doing what I love to do.  With my addiction right by my side.  Some folks have asked me why I didn't cancel the class after I found out about my surgery.

There are a couple of reasons for that.  One, Myron doesn't give refunds.  That's the biggest reason honestly. I'm grateful for that because the other big reason is I really, really want to do BBQ the rest of my life.  I want to compete in BBQ competitions, I want to open a restaurant with my wife and serve BBQ until I can't walk anymore.  Since I don't have the cash laying around to open a restaurant or food truck right now I'll have to rely on competing to get my name out there.

So the answer to the question in the back of my mind and yours is I will still cook and Q after my surgery.  Not because I don't want to give up food or I'm not going to take the surgery seriously.  I'm going to continue to do it because it makes me happy to see folks have a foodgasm in their mouth when they eat my food.

The next few weeks are going to be crazy around here.  This weekend isn't my last foray into Q but hopefully the beginning of a new chapter for me and my family.

tl;dr
I love my wife.
I'm at the Jack's Old South Cooking school this weekend
I'm meeting Myron Mixon
I'm still going to do BBQ

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be stupid. Remember that this is my life not yours. I want to hear from folks but blatantly offensive comments won't be allowed.