Pages

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

I saw the sign...

As a food addict like any other addict, I have my go-to food.  For me it's air-popped popcorn with unsalted butter and Parmesan cheese poured over the top.  I like to think that it's healthy because its air-popped and the butter is unsalted but let's get real.  It's about as unhealthy as you can get.

Ask my wife, I eat this at least 2-3 times a week.  I actually have eaten this almost daily as part of a weight loss attempt.  I lost weight mostly because I didn't have any pop with it but it didn't last.

So last night we put E to bed and I asked my wife what she wanted for dinner.  I was hoping she'd say popcorn and God love 'er she did.  I have a routine down and know how long it'll take to melt a stick (yeah an effin' stick) of butter - unsalted mind you in the microwave.  I get out a kitchen towel, get my glass of water because it's going to be a healthy dinner and fire up the popper.

Well this time the popper didn't start up.  It hummed and I started to smell something burning.  I looked at my wife and said, "That's a sign from God."  She and I laughed but we knew it was a sign of things to come. This story would have been great if I would have thrown out the popper, pop corn and melted butter but I knew I had filled it kind of full so I tried with less popcorn.

So the damn thing ran and I had my go-to meal yet again.  However I'm out of cheese and I can use the stick of butter for something else I guess.

It really is like saying goodbye to a friend.  Not a good friend but a friend none the less.  It's hard to explain to someone but it's like moving away.  I am on a journey and I think everyone (the 5 of you) that reads this understands that part of it.  However we don't realize the collateral damage.  I'll be throwing that pop corn popper away.  If you need about 2.5lbs of popcorn kernels, let me know.  I'll hook you up.  Otherwise they're going in the trash too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be stupid. Remember that this is my life not yours. I want to hear from folks but blatantly offensive comments won't be allowed.